Our club is situated in the Mount Barker area of the
beautiful Adelaide Hills in South Australia,
Visitors and new members are always welcome. Please contact us regarding membership enquiries, to confirm the next operating date, or to confirm directions to the clubhouse.
We look forward to meeting you soon.
Our club logo features the headlight and number-boards of the South Australian Railways' 500 class steam locomotive's class leader. Introduced in 1926.
Originally built as a 4-8-2 "Mountain", the class was converted to 4-8-4 "Northern" wheel configuration to support the addition of a booster, and reclassified 500B.
To provide interested residents of the Adelaide Hills and surrounding districts with a regular, readily accessible venue for the pursuit of the hobby of model railways, regardless of prototype or scale, by providing safe, comfortable clubrooms, regular meetings and the fellowship of like-minded individuals.
To maintain and to further the popularity and practise of railway modelling.
To, in some small way, help preserve the memory and history of the former South Australian, Commonwealth and Australian National railway systems, and, to a lesser extent, those of other Australian railway systems past and present.
Our fully scenicked, HO (1:87.1) scale, 16.5mm track gauge layout generally follows South Australian prototype. NCE Digital Command Control (DCC) is used to control our trains,
Members bring their own trains, including models of South Australian, Commonwealth, Australian National and Victorian Railways or V/Line and post-privatisation Australian prototypes. That said, historically our members model many diverse prototypes and scales.
Modellers of railways, whatever the scale or gauge, are always welcome. Come and join us. If you run HO scale trains then bring some along, regardless of whether you model broad gauge (SA/Vic), Australian prctotype or anything else you run (US, British, European, etc).
The Mount Barker Model Railway Club would like to extend our thanks to the following for supporting our club:
* The District Council of Mount Barker for providing the site for our clubhouse.
* The Adelaide and districts model railway fraternity and public, for their attendance at the annual Adelaide Model Railway Exhibition (AMRE) on the June long weekend. Over the years we have appreciated their strong support of our efforts to provide a market for predominantly good quality, reasonably priced items through our second-hand stall. We we feel sure that the organisers of AMRE feel likewise.
* The many model railway suppliers, manufacturers, traders and exhibitors who have supported our hobby with their fine exhibits, products and services, and attendance at the AMRE exhibition.
* The State Library of South Australia for allowing us to display the magnificent photograph (above) of locomotive 502B at work. (See "Steam Loco 500 Class AUDIO South Australian Railways" here for more).
* Lastly, but not leastly, our members, past and present, for their support of our club.
This website was last updated on 23rd. March 2018.